Sunday, March 14, 2010

Coconut Flax Granola

The other day I wishing that I had some granola around to eat for breakfasts and to offer Ian as a healthy snack. I hate to buy granola becasue I feel like there is always so much sugar in it and/or chcolate, candied fruit, etc., and so I never actually do buy it. However, I do like granola a lot, so this morning, in the midst of a fairly otherwise lazy Sunday, I decided to mix some up.


Over the past few years I have been utterly spoiled by my mother-in-law's homemade granola. We all love it! She started with a recipe from Andrew Weil and has adapted and altered it over time to fit her needs. It's really delicious. This morning I cam up with my own version and felt like sharinf. This recipe make almost 2 quart jars worth.



Coconut Flax Granola


1T canola oil

1T coconut oil

1/2c brown rice syrup

1T vanilla

2c rolled oats

1/2c raw hulled sunflower seeds

1/4c raw sesame seeds

1/2c flax seeds

1c unsweetened shredded coconut


cinnamon


3/4c raisins
Preheat the oven to 350.
In a large bowl combine everything except cinnamon and raisins. Mix well until all ingredients are coated. Put on a lightly greased or non-stick cookie sheet and form into a mound (very important step). Sprinkle on top with cinnamon. Bake 20 minutes, mixing every five minutes and re-topping the mound each time with cinnamon (you'll do this 3 times). The granola is finished baking when it is slightly browned. Remove from oven and pour back into bowl. Add raisins and mix well. Spread out evenly on cookie sheet to cool. Store in an airtight conatiner like a mason jar.




No comments:

Post a Comment