Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year

Well, I'm a little slow on the uptake here but I have a delicious recipe to share. It's a Veteto family New Year's Day tradition and I am just about to sit down and eat it up.

A number of years ago when I started spending New Year's Eve with my in-laws, I tased these yummy black eye peas for the first time and have looked forward to them every year since. Sorry I didn't remember to post this earlier so you could enjoy it today, but I will try my best to remember for next time around.

1c canola oil
1 clove garlic sliced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4c white vinegar
1 small onion sliced into rings
1 small red bell pepper sliced
2 cans of black eye peas (often I cook 1-2c dried black eyes and use those, this year I bought eden brand)

I also add a picnch of black pepper and this year I dropped a dried chile into the mix.

Mix all the ingredients together in a dish and let sit, ideally for a few days to soak in all the flavors. Heat before serving and eat with fresh collards.

enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment