Friday, January 7, 2011

The Road


This past week I read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. If you're looking for an intense emotional ride this story will provide it. Well, at least it did for me. It is a post apocalytip tale of a father and son on a journey to find other survivors who are not savages or "bad guys". They take care of each other and count on each other almost as equally. The geographic setting is not completely clear but going by the description I would guess it's somewhere in the eastern us, possibly including Appalachia, going on the plant life described (ginseng, rhododendrons, morels) as well as waterfalls near mountain gaps and then ending on the coast.


While reading this story it was difficult for me not to imagine my husband and son as the characters making even more heartbreaking. I wonder if folks who do not have children are affected the same way. When asked about the ending, I found that I was both sad and hopeful at the same time.


The writing style was at times distracting and yet it was exactly perfect for the point of view.


I would reccomend this book and now I am looking to watch the film. Interestingly, the film version has actress Molly Parker in it who just finished up on the set of the Playroom, the film my son is currently working on.
I am going to try and post book reviews more regularly so stay tuned to see what my opinions are.

No comments:

Post a Comment