Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sausage Risotto

After a wonderful dinner with some good friends a few years ago, I realized that I didn't have much experience with arborio rice. For those of you not in the know, this is the kind of rice used to make risotto. My friends being full blooded Italians and lovers of Italian cuisine had fixed risotto for me over the years (including at their wedding) and every time I really enjoyed it. This one particular time however, I left their home thinking it was time for me to learn how to make this delicious dish.

I gave a call to them one evening and after a few pointers and with some suggestions about how to proceed came up with this recipe. It has since become a family favorite for a cold winter evening, since it is pretty hearty. I guess the colder weather that is now setting in has me thinking about the kinds of meals I like to eat that contribute to my insides feeling warm and fuzzy.

So here it is for you try if you should feel so inclined. Keep in mind this is not a low fat or heart healthy meal, it's simply delicious.


Sausage Risotto

Created Dec 2007

8oz fresh pork sausage (preferably local)
2 cloves garlic minced
½ -1c diced bell pepper (any color you want)
½ c diced onion
¼ c diced green onion
2T butter
1 ½ c arborio rice
4c stock (approximate, any kind you want veg, chicken, beef)
¾ c cream
½ c pecorino romano grated

variations: 2c sliced mushrooms added with the onions and peppers, omit the sausage and add another veggie or chopped pecans.


*Melt butter in a large skillet
*Add onions & green peppers and sautee until translucent. Add garlic and sautee a few more minutes.
*Add sausage and cook until browned, about 7 minutes. Add rice and stir until it is well coated.*Add stock 1c at a time allowing the rice to absorb each cup before adding the next. Cook until the rice is al dente (cooked through but still firm). Add cream and cheese, stir and serve

No comments:

Post a Comment